The Grisedale Horseshoe Fell Race was established during the 1980’s.
Following the death of Derek Price, a past ARCC club Chairman and member of many years standing, the race was renamed The Derek Price Memorial Grisedale Horseshoe.
The route is a traditional Fell Race. Participants must decide their own optimum route between the checkpoints.
- The next race will be on September 4th 2021 at 11:00am
- Minimum Kit requirements:
- Map, compass, whistle. Waterproof (taped seams) jacket & overtrousers. Hat, gloves & emergency food.
Kit check for all competitors at King George V parking field in Patterdale, prior to registration at Glenridding Village Hall.
Toilets and limited changing facilities will be available at King George V playing fields.
Registration, post race food, refreshments and prize giving at Glenridding Village Hall.
- START. Glenridding village hall.
- CP1: Catstye Cam summit (manned).
- CP2: Helvellyn (manned).
- CP3: Grisedale Tarn, eastern end (manned).
- CP4: St Sunday Crag summit (manned).
- CP5: Barn, Grid Ref 370149 (manned). If the Beck is in spate use the Bridge at Grid Ref 362143.
- CP6: Wall Stile, Grid Ref 373160 (manned).
- FINISH. Glenridding Village Hall.
Note that there is a 1.30pm cut off at Grisedale Tarn.
A misconception often quoted is that we go to Hole in the Wall after St Sunday Crag. This is incorrect. The Hole in the Wall is approx 500 feet (150 metres) higher & 3/4 of a mile (1.2km) in the wrong direction to the finish from where the race route crosses the wall.