The Grisedale Horseshoe Fell Race was established during the 1980’s.
Following the death of Derek Price, a past ARCC club Chairman and member of many years standing, the race was renamed The Derek Price Memorial Grisedale Horseshoe.
The route is a traditional Fell Race. Participants must decide their own optimum route between the checkpoints.
- The next race will be on Saturday 31st August 2024 at 11:00am
- Enter at SI entries – link will be here when entries open
- Entry on day subject to max of 200 not being reached beforehand.
- Minimum Kit requirements:
- Map, compass, whistle, waterproof (taped seams ) jacket (with hood) & overtrousers, hat, gloves & emergency food.
- Kit check and registration at Glenridding Village Hall 385168.
- Race parking is available at King George V playing fields – approximately 15 minutes walk from the village hall.
- Post race food, refreshments and prize giving at Glenridding Village Hall .
- We would like to thank OMM for their generous support of the race.
- START. Glenridding village hall.
- CP1: Catstye Cam summit 347158 (manned).
- CP2: Helvellyn – top of Swirral Edge 340152 (manned).
- CP3: Grisedale Tarn, eastern end 352123 (manned).
- CP4: St Sunday Crag summit 369134 (manned).
- CP5: Barn, Grid Ref 370149 (manned). If the Beck is in spate use the Bridge at Grid Ref 362143.
- CP6: Wall Stile, Grid Ref 373160 (manned).
- FINISH. Glenridding Village Hall.
- Route notes: The land covering Catstye Cam and Helvellyn is managed by the john Muir Trust who have asked for the following compulsory sections be followed to avoid crossing sensitive land. Failure to follow this request will put the future of the race in jeopardy. Race marshals will be positioned at each of these points: 1. The main path must be followed to Red Tarn. Following the wall at 368160 is not permitted. Runners must veer to the right following the path not the wall. 2. A direct ascent of Catstye Cam from Red Tarn is not allowed. Runners must follow the path to 345155 and double back to the summit. 3. Cutting the corner towards the top of Swirral Edge is not permitted. Runners must take a line straight up to the Helvellyn ridge where the check point will be located at 340151.
Note that there is a 1.30pm cut off at Grisedale Tarn.
A misconception often quoted is that we go to Hole in the Wall after St Sunday Crag. This is incorrect. The Hole in the Wall is approx 500 feet (150 metres) higher & 3/4 of a mile (1.2km) in the wrong direction to the finish from where the race route crosses the wall.